Strike Group is a leading

Construction Company in Canada

The construction industry in Ontario is a dynamic, competitive sector that can offer both opportunities and challenges to entrepreneurs. From general contracting to highly specialized restoration, there are many different kinds of construction businesses. Before starting your business, think about the types of construction services your company will provide. Based on your services, there are several steps you will need to take in order to start your business.

Getting started

When you start a business there are several things to consider before you can sell your product or service. Most businesses in Ontario need to complete a minimum of three basic steps:

  • Find out what licences and regulations apply to your type of business
  • Choose a business structure and register or incorporate your business
  • Determine if you will need to collect and remit HST

Our business start-up guide will give you more information on these steps and other basic requirements for starting a business in Ontario.


Your business may need licences and permits from the federal, provincial and municipal levels of government.

In addition to the information you will find in this guide, you can use the Canada Business Permits and Licenses Search, powered by BizPaL, to find licences and regulations that may affect your business. You can also contact us to speak to someone about starting your business.

Construction and skilled trades are highly regulated. Some common regulations that could apply to your business include:

Excavation regulation

You must have all underground utilities located and marked prior to starting any excavation work. Ontario One Call (ON1Call) is the single point of contact to request the location of underground infrastructure in Ontario. ON1Call is responsible for administering the Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act, 2012.

Labour regulations and workplace safety

If you carry on a business in the construction industry as a contractor, sub-contractor, sole proprietor, partner in a partnership, or an executive officer in a corporation, you must register with Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) for mandatory insurance coverage. There are some exceptions to the mandatory coverage.

Legal questions

If you have legal questions, contact a lawyer who deals with business regulations. The Law Society of Upper Canada's Law Society Referral Service may be able to assist you in finding a lawyer or paralegal, based on your needs.


Depending on your location and the type of products or services being offered, federal, provincial and/or municipal business taxes may apply.

If you sell goods and services in Ontario, you may need a business number to collect and remit the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). Most businesses that make less than $30, 000 in any 12 month period are not required to charge HST; however, you can register voluntarily and claim input tax credits. Speak with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for more information.

CONSTRUCTION MACHINES 2014 gameplay only, PC game review
CONSTRUCTION MACHINES 2014 gameplay only, PC game review
Time lapse of home constructed start to finish
Time lapse of home constructed start to finish
MUST SEE Shipping Container Homes for Sale from Canada
MUST SEE... Shipping Container Homes for Sale from Canada
Share this Post

Related posts

Names of companies in Canada

Names of companies in Canada

FEBRUARY 05, 2023

When you apply to incorporate a company under the Canada Business Corporations Act, you may choose to use a corporate name…

Read More
Construction Company Profile

Construction Company Profile

FEBRUARY 05, 2023

A construction company profile builds customer confidence. Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images A construction industry…

Read More